These goals are the result of almost one year’s work beginning with the SWOT analysis (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities & Threats) and ending with a positive vote at our annual meeting on November 14th.
How can you be a part of reaching these goals? What appeals to you? All of us can find a way to help to reach these goals. It might be by attending events, writing letters, lobbying your legislators, volunteering at an AAWA information booth and more.
Although membership enhancement is not listed, building membership is always a goal of AAWA. If you have a friend or family member who supports public transportation and passenger rail, consider a gift membership. It’s affordable and for most of us, we don’t need “one more thing” to display or dust.
Short Term Goals
- Increase passenger amenities at King Street Station, including but not limited to:
- Food and beverage service
- Clearer, easier to understand announcements
- Signage for arrivals and departures
- More refined boarding process
- Better pedestrian access to 4th Avenue, transit, Sounder
- Expand our cooperation with other organizations including NARP, AORTA, “green” groups, commuter rail, bicycle groups, hospitality and travel industry
- Increase emphasis on technology via platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, our website and YouTube to expand our reach and message
- Focus on intermodal connectivity – train to train, train to transit, etc.
Medium Term Goal:*
- Establish an Amtrak Cascades station stop in Blaine
Long Term Goals:*
- Restore passenger train service to central/eastern Washington via Stampede Pass
- Add daytime service to Spokane (route to be determined)
- Bring Sounder service to Thurston County
*Both medium and long term goals have short term components, for example ramping up local support for the Blaine stop. Working with decision makers, mayors, county commissioners, etc. will be essential as AAWA plants the seeds for daytime passenger train service to central and eastern Washington communities.
Please contact AAWA to volunteer for one or more of the task forces we are creating to accomplish these goals. The SWOT Analyses completed earlier this year included a message from our membership: We need greater involvement by the members. This is YOUR opportunity. We hope to hear from you.